Did you swear off sweets for a New Year’s resolution? Don’t worry – fro-yo is here (as if you haven’t noticed) to help you maintain both your goal for 2012 and your daily weekly sweet indulgence. The lightly tart and savory dessert (which has less fat than regular ice cream and is jam-packed with active cultures) is now at hotspots all over the valley, and from Glendale to Chandler, we’ve rounded up ten of our favorites, because sometimes a sweet treat is just as important for getting through the daily grind as morning coffee.
1. A Touch of Yogurt in Phoenix: A Valley original, our favorite flavors are Scotchmallow and Lemon Cheesecake.
2. Desert Swirl Frozen Yogurt, Phoenix and Glendale: A little pricier than standard yogurt, but worth it: they carry the “Only 8″ brand of yogurt that has zero fat and zero preservatives and is safe for the lactose-intolerant.
3. JazzYogurt, Scottsdale: “The Place Where Frozen Yogurt Meets Soul:” monthly live music and unique seasonal flavors (Orange Holiday Bread, anyone?) has this new shop gaining quick popularity.
4. Yogurt Builderz in Scottsdale: Known for hard-to-find flavors like pineapple tart, honeydew and marshmallow (they carry “Only 8″ too!)
5. Aloha Yogurt in Tempe: For a very late-night treat, Aloha is open till 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 12 a.m. Friday and Saturday.
6. Yogurt Company, Scottsdale: We call it “breakfast yogurt;” they also serve gourmet coffee and Belgian waffles.
7. ZenZen Yogurt in Phoenix: Shaved ice or fro-yo? We’ll take both (really!)
8. Kokomo Frozen Yogurt in Chandler: simple flavors, lots of fresh fruit, cute, clean store…sometimes we just want frozen yogurt without all the frills.
9. Yogurtopia, Scottsdale and Gilbert: The flavors (from root-beer float to cherry amaretto) and toppings are literally endless.
10. U-Swirl, Mesa, Scottsdale and Phoenix: They may be a nationwide franchise, but we love that this famous fro-yo shop has finally arrived in the Valley.